The colors, lugwork, and components are highly reminiscent of a Motobécane from the same period.
As is often the case with these things, Lucien MICHARD (l’homme) was a champion cyclist.
This is a nice example of handcrafted 700 Randonneur early 60,s bicycle. New Old Frame fitted with good components as such as, an Ava alloy stem, Mafac Dural cantilever brakes, Huret front and rear derailleur, Stronglight D49 crank set and famous Berthoud fenders.The bicycle is newly rebuilt, in the true spirit from the golden age of French production during the 1960’s. It gives a very solid and quality feeling to the ride and the brakes are strong and smooth, it’s a straight frame without any damage. Features a nicely lugged steel frame and fork NOS, the bike is in pristine conditions.
Lucien Michard (born Épinay-sur-Seine, France, 17 November 1903, died 1 November 1985) was a French racing cyclist and Olympic track champion during the 20th and 30th. He won four successive world championships and 12 France Championship. In 1939, he start to build is own trade bicycle.
Description as follow
– Brand : Lucien MICHARD Type : Randonneur 700 Frame size 55,5cm Measurements: 55,5cm Seat Tube (top to center), 56.5cm Top – – Tube (center to center), 61cm Down tube, 80.5cm From the ground to the top tube
– AVA alloy stem and chrome handlebar with old school guideline (Red Velox) and bell
– Prima saddle “croupon garantie”,
– Mafac dural forge brake set (cantilever type) with Mafac Professional 121 levers and half hoods levers nos.
-Stronglight D49 crank Lyotard 460 course pedals and also new Christophe toe clip and straps new.
– Huret swelto front & rear derailleur (shifts perfectly and smoothly)
– Huret sport shifters ,
– Atom 5 speeds Sport type freewheel .
– Wheels : Rigida 700 C standard flat side super chrome rims (with only very few pitted spots Atom hubs fitted with Huret Luxe chromed wing nut (chrome pitted) Tyres: Michelin Overall ride with those tyres is great and ready for many long miles without trouble.
– Berthoud new fenders
– Soubitez Front light/ Dynamo.
What makes that bicycle of interest is the general overall harmony and the n.o.s. frame (as you can see of the pictures with perfect decals, ans also new Bottom bracket and head seat. Using a great care in rebuilding this bicycle, it has been fitted with a lot of new components or original in very good has been remade like period ones. The quality of the many good period components (100% Made in France) makes it very solid for daily use like a new bicycle with the nice shape of the real typical French 700 Randonneur, not a reproduction or a fake.The “700 Randonneur” of this period were often “workhorse”, made for rider in needs of reliable transportation for both work & pleasure, but today most old bicycle like this one are too often sale for spares rather than restored. So a 60,s “bicyceltte”back on road for many miles of pleasure. Now the bicycle is seeking a good home with careful new owner.